Thursday, September 27, 2007

Stillwater, MN

Friday September 21st


It rained during the night so I waited until the tent was dry and did some laundry before departing around midday.

I stopped in Bemidji at a health food store for food and a wool clothing store for a pair of socks.

Around 3pm I survived riding and pushing my bike though a mud bath of a road. The rain the previous night must have softened up the road which was being maintained! Okay, I ignored the no through traffic sign and I decided not to take the detour. (New acronym YAD yet another detour.....YADDA YADDA.....)

I stopped at the convenience store in Bena for some refreshments and I did some maintenance on my tail light. Once it was working properly I departed not knowing where I would stay the night.

I arrived at a bridge over the Mississippi River at 8:23pm and I decided to stay there the night. People in cars can't see you if you camp just below the road. I felt safe. Some deer were not happy I was there as I heard them making warning noises in the dark. The meal was good and I had another good sleep.

Saturday September 22nd

There was a heavy dew but I decided to pack up the wet tent and continue. I had a general delivery package to pick up in Grand Rapids.

There was a convenience store in Ball Club and I stopped to get enough water for the ride to Grand Rapids.

There were nice pleasant and quiet roads all the way to Grand Rapids. A farmer stopped to talk while I was munching on some chocolate at a rest stop. He offered some nice water from his well (just a mile up the road.) I decided to continue.

I arrived in Grand Rapids at 11:20am and the package was there! I called and left a message with my friend to confirm my pickup.

I noticed a supermarket on the way into Grand Rapids. I headed to the County Fairgrounds and found the campground. $5 for a tent plus use of the shower. A great price! I spread everything that was wet out on the ground to dry and relaxed in the sunshine. Ahhh...I was happy just to sit and do nothing.

Some time later I put up the tent, packed everything inside headed to the supermarket. On my return to the tent a I guy called Scott rode up on his bike and said he was interested in my bike and my trip. He invited me to come to his parent's house. I agreed to come after I had eaten dinner and I'd bring my computer for a slide show.

The visit to Scott's house was pleasant and I rode back to the tent in the dark to sleep.

Sunday September 23rd

I spent some time writing up the blog on the computer and organizing the photos. Scott visited me again as I was packing everything up. It must be quite mind boggling for Scott to watch as everything packed down and fit in 2 bags plus the tent, mattress, and sleeping bag on the rear carrier. We said our goodbyes and I headed towards Pallisade.

I arrived there at 8:30pm and found the city park after asking for directions at the local gas station. It was $11 a night.

Monday September 24th

I worked on the computer again getting the blog updated and photos reduced.

I departed around 1:40pm and just before 4:30pm I got drenched in a thunderstorm near Aikin.

Tuesday September 25th

Wednesday September 26th

2 comments:

maryfig said...

Hey!

Well, you haven't posted in a while, I assume that's due to more equipment failure! Good luck -first it's the mechanicals, next the electronics! Sheesh! Couldn't find scrap ICs laying around, huh? ;-[

So, surprisingly it's still quite warm here-we've been up in the 80's. Rained a bit last night, so that had a little cooling effect. Your plants are doing well. All the Intensive Reg Web is up, and the Seva connection is webbed-!!Ruchir and Bindu now have time to stop and breathe again.

The fall colors are stunning (to me, anyway-others say that there have been prettier years...)

I am leaving Oct 29, a couple days after the Intensive. First off to Chicago, then done to Dallas for a month or so.

Hope you are still having tail winds!

mary

Amit said...

Hey! Its great to read about your travels in your online presence. Good to see you're doing well. Get in touch when you get back!
Good luck,
Amit