Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Monroeville, IN

Friday October 12th

After a few miles after departing at 8:53am I entered Indiana. No welcome sign.

I've started to collect names of corn seed manufacturers to see if any of them are not GM (genetically modified.) Becks, AgVenture, Crows, Pioneer, Dairyland, Frontiers, Hritage, AgriGold, BrodBeck, and Garst.

I went off route into Monon to the library to update my blog. I was in there for quite a while then the librarian said they were closing in 15 minutes. I was able to load lots of photos but no text - so the blog is not posted yet.

After looking at my Adventure Cycling map I now realize that I'm in the Eastern time zone!

As it was 6pm when I left the library I quickly purchased some food for dinner then headed back to the cycling route.

I rode through Buffalo at dusk not finding a city park to stay in so I headed out of town. Within a short ride of Buffalo is the Camp Buffalo Boy Scouts Camp. I rode in and was allowed to camp in exchange for a donation. I had to be out of the camp before 9am as many cub scouts were arriving for their first camping experience.

52 miles ridden today.

Sorry about the drab looking photos. Maybe someone can make some suggestions about how I can improve them. I don't have photoshop. I could download JASC Photopaint. What do you think?



Saturday October 13th

The rear wheel had a thorn puncture which delayed my departure until 10am.

On the outskirts of Royal Center I called the library but they did not have internet access.

I collected more corn seed manufacturer names. Corn Genetics, ChemGro, Pfister, Great Lakes, and Dekalb.

Today for most of the day I rode away from big towns. I needed to get some groceries so headed off route into Wabash.

I reached Lagro at 6.15pm and had a milk drink at the gas station.

I reached my destination of Salmonie River State Forest at 6:58pm and selected a nice tent site in the trees. Being the weekend lots of people were in the camp and were palying their radios and music until 11pm. I put my earplugs on and went to sleep at 10:30pm.










Sunday October 14th

I awoke at 7am and meditated before breakfast. Everyone else in camp was still asleep. I let the tent dry for a short time before departing at 10:45am.

I thought I had to get back on route 524 but I realized once I was there I had to ride back bast where I stayed the night. The serendipity of riding back to 524 was that I disturbed 5 golden eagles feasting on something on the side of the entrance road. I rode along 524 and noticed 15 golden eagles hovering ahead on the air currents. I took a photo then headed back to the forest rode.

I passed over the Salmonie River Dam and stopped in Zanesville for lunch at the cemetary. Heading out of town I couldn't find the County Border Rd so I turned around to find it and was stopped by a local couple who wanted to feed me and offer me a shower. Such generosity from total strangers! I love it when that happens. They gave me directions to Yoder Rd. I passed through Yoder (sounds like something from Star Wars!), Poe, and Hoagland. I bought a drink in Hoagland at the gas station and signed their visitor book.

I reached Monroeville at 5:20pm and met Warren who showed me to the community park building where I would be staying for 2 nights. This accommodation is listed as bicyclist only. It has a kitchen, shower, bathroom, and laundry all for cross-country bicyclists. I'm feeling quite at home here.












Monday October 15th

Today is a day off for me in Monroeville.

No comments: