Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ticonderoga, NY

Wednesday October 24th

I spent a few hours in the Medina library updating the blog and I departed Medina at 1:30pm following the Erie canal path, passed through Albion, and reached Rochester at 6:50pm.

It felt great to be riding on the canal path again after my ride on it in October 2001.

I followed the canal path through Rochester and reached a road under construction. I had to retrace my steps back to the other side of the canal then lost my way.

I decided to head north on route 15 until I reached route 31. Then I headed east and reached Pittsford at 9:30pm. I followed the canal path and again reached a bridge under construction and had to detour to route 31.

At Fairport I followed the canal path again and reached a suitable tent site near Macedon at 11:45pm!

78 miles traveled today.





Thursday October 25th
I let the tent dry and departed at 11:37am following the canal path.
I met a few bicyclists and pedestrians on the path. One cyclist, Ed, recommended that I stop in Palmyra at the Muddy Waters cafe. I stopped there at 12:30pm.
In Pultneyville I stopped for lunch at a nice park which is right on Lake Ontario.
I reached Sodus Point at 5pm and at 8:10pm the gears were not changing and I found that one of the two arms on the rear derailleur had broken. A guy stopped in his car to help. I was able to get the derailleur working again and the guy suggested I stay in Fair Haven which was about 7 miles away.
On the way to Fair Haven I discovered that the rear tire was losing air. I pumped up the tire and it held enough air to get me to Fair Haven State Park by 10pm. As I rode around the park I discovered that the camping site was closed. I discovered that there was room beside the bathrooms to put up the tent.
61 miles traveled today.










Friday October 26th
During the night I was woken by a raccoon getting into my left pannier where the food was located. I discovered that the varmint got my nice 6 slices of swiss cheese I bought the previous day for lunch. It also helped itself to 2 of the 6 raisin boxes and left the empty boxes for me to see. Still, it was a cheap nights accommodation!

The rear tire was flat and I repaired it.

As I woke up duck hunters guns started to pop nearby. I departed at 10:15am and reached Fulton at 12:30pm. I found the bike shop and the guys there had a derailleur to replace my faulty one. It was cheaper because it was made of steel and heavier than aluminum which would be more durable.

An hour later I departed and it started to rain. It rained all afternoon and I arrived in Richland after dark at 7pm.

I didn't feel like taking any photos in the steady rain.

I decided the best place to stay would be the cemetary since all private campgrounds were now closed.

54 miles traveled today.

Saturday October 27th
I had a nice peaceful stay at the cemetary and departed at 9:30am. It was still raining and there were lots of rolling hills to pass through.
In Osceola I stopped at a cafe for a snack. The folks there were very friendly and were interested in my bike trip.
As the afternoon progressed the rain dried out and the sun came out. I got interested in taking photos again.
At 5pm I saw a sign welcoming me to Adirondack Park.
I passed through Boonville, McKeever, Thendara, and arrived in Old Forge at 7:30pm.
I was wet and wanted to dry the camping gear out so I decided to stay in a motel.

The soak in the bath was very much appreciated!
73 miles traveled today.




Sunday October 28th
After the laundry was done and the pancakes demolished at a local diner, I departed at midday.
It was a cold day. At Blue Mountain Lake I stopped at 4pm for a hot chocolate at a gas station.
I reached Newcomb at 8:45pm and couldn't find or call the B&Bs listed on my map. I found a city park but the sign stated no camping. I continued on a side road and reached a golf course where I decided to camp the night.
I cooked dinner and got into the sleeping bag as soon as I could because it was so cold.
65 miles traveled today.











Monday October 29th

I woke up at 7am and decided to stay in bed until 8am because it was so cold.
After cooking breakfast and packing up the gear I couldn't keep my feet warm. I stayed in my long underwear and departed at 9:30am, replenished my water supply at the city park, and passed through North Hudson and Severance.

I'm thinking of buying some warmer boots in Ticonderoga.

The temperature was warming up and at 2:15pm I stopped at Paradox for lunch. My feet were toasty warm again! The store was closed so I sat on one of the nice chairs and ate my lunch.
There were some nice lakes that I passed on the way.

I arrived in Ticonderoga at 5pm and decided to find a motel with internet access.

The motel owner let me know the ferry to Vermont was closed for the season. I searched on the internet for a bridge to cross and found one that takes me about 8 extra miles further than taking the ferry.

I had a few exhilarating downhill rides today. The maximum speed for the day was 48mph!
I've also decided that this will be the last post before I reach Bar Harbor around November 5th.

I'm going to send the laptop computer forward in order to keep the bike weight down while climbing hills and mountains in the next few days.

52 miles traveled today.




No comments: